Home

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Summer is Slipping on By

Summer is in full swing around here.  We are in a drought in my area and the days have been over 100 degrees, which is not the norm.  How thankful I am to live in a house with air conditioning.  I have emptied the rain barrel and have been watering my veggie garden with the hose in the morning and evenings.  At least we have that option.  I have beans ready to pick this weekend most likely and I am hoping for a ripe tomato in the next week or there about.  I love watching and working in my garden.  A garden mirrors our own lives in so many ways.  They can get sick, they grow, they show signs of stress, and when conditions are right, my how happy the plants do seem.

Yesterday was the 4th of July and we didn't do anything special.  We had a ban on fireworks here, so that made things quiet.  It seemed weird with no fireworks, I do love them.  It has been so dry, they would have been such a danger.  The fire department was called twice down my little road this week alone for grass fires.  We did get a small rain storm today, it only lasted about 15 minutes so I don't think it did much for the drought but it felt so nice and smelled so good.  Does anyone else think the rain smells good?

Confirmation went well and I was so proud of the kids.  Where we are at, they get to have breakfast with the bishop the morning of their confirmation.  We, the adults stand back and this is their time.  They were all so nervous going in.  I had to laugh when we asked afterwards why they didn't eat much, they responded with they were afraid to get up for seconds.  I would be willing to bet that is the only time teenagers would turn down seconds.  The bishop directed the homily towards  them, which was so nice.  It really was a special day for them and their families and for our entire parish.  I pray each one of the kids grow to call on the gift of the spirit and let it guide them in their everyday.

The rest of my weekend will be spent working a yard sale with my sister. Oh fun? And of course picking beans.   We have a busy couple of weeks coming up with a big family reunion coming up and our family vacation to the Sunshine state.

What is going on in your neck of the woods?


                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment